The Grate Groan-Up Spelling Bee is the hottest competition in the Foothills. This hilarious, action packed evening has teams of three people representing the Municipal Councils of High River, Black Diamond, Turner Valley, Okotoks and the MD of Foothills competing in a battle for bragging rights to spelling supremacy. Not only are they battling for spelling supremacy they are in a competition to see which team can raise the most pledges to support literacy and learning in the Foothills. For the teams that raise the most donations, 2nd place and third place a significant prize will be awarded to the local libraries of their choice.
Check out our Pinterest boards by clicking on the Pinterest icon to the right. Each team has their own board.
Are you a better speller than our participants? Test your own skills and cheer on your favourite team on the night of the event.
Okotoks Rotary Performing Arts Centre
June 7th 2013
Doors open at 6:00 – Bee starts at 7:30 pm
Wine and cheese (cash bar)
Help make this a successful fund raiser for Literacy for Life Foundation and help support your local library.
- Support your local council and go to their Giving Page and make a pledge
- Set up a giving page to support your Municipal Council and local library? Go to http://www.canadahelps.org/GivingPages/GivingPages.aspx and set up a Giving Page. Send your message to friend and family and ask them to support your team. Make sure you pick Literacy for Life as the charity and indicate in the email message which team you are supporting.
- Make a pledge on your teams Giving Page
- Be an event sponsor
Call 403.652.5090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you enjoyed Family Literacy Day last January, check out our website Each Year for information on what will be happening on January 27th, in our area.
- Play for Literacy: Celebrating Family Literacy Day booklet (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Literacy Tips for the Family (PDF - 41 KB)
- Tips to Encourage Teens (PDF - 36 KB)
Literacy for Life Foundation has an Annual General Meeting in October of each year.
Literacy for Life is excited to be involved in the Annual Teddy Bear Picnic in Okotoks. Kids, bring an adult, your favorite stuffed animal, a picnic snack, and join us! Activities provided by the Okotoks Health and Wellness Centre, Foothills Animal Hospital, local businesses and non-profit agencies. Check out http://www.okotoks.ca/Default.aspx?cid=1544 for further information.